View Single Post
LonesomeTonight
Always in This Twilight

Member Since Feb 2015
75.1k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jul 29, 2022 at 05:41 PM

If you took a break, would you consider seeing a different therapist during that time? I had intended to take a break from my ex-T for different reasons--more that I felt she wasn't really helping me with my attachment to my former marriage counselor, along with some conflicts. I was going to just see another T for a month or two, then go back to her. Or if I decided to stay with him, to at least go back for a termination session or two. But once I started seeing my now-current T, I just never went back, not even for termination (I realized I'd be doing that for her, not me).

Assuming you still feel you could benefit from therapy, I feel like seeing another T during a break could be helpful. That way, you'd get a different perspective and experience a difference personality and style and see what that felt like. It could be that it would be someone you'd want to stay with, or you'd realize you want to go back to your original T, or you might realize you need a different T entirely (or that you should take a break from therapy).

I feel as though just taking a break from your therapist without seeing someone else could just lead to you missing your therapist--but it would be difficult to know whether you missed him in particular or whether you missed therapy in general (like having a dedicated place to go to talk about what you're feeling and experiencing). If that makes any sense. Just something to consider.

And I found it much easier to walk away (even with the intention of it being temporary) from my ex-T having another appointment with someone else in place. I also did the same when I briefly left my current T after a rupture, but seeing the other T made me realize I missed the one I'd been seeing, so I went back to him.
LonesomeTonight is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
SlumberKitty

Thanks for this!
East17, ElectricManatee, Quietmind 2