Elder

Member Since Jun 2015
13.4k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Aug 03, 2022 at 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondtheRainbow View Post
Yes, a number of them. One that surprised me was someone who wasn't into academics and then wound up considered extremely good in a competitive field.

What is something you've done in your life that is unusual?
To pick one, I guess when I moved to Taiwan at 23 years old all by myself (a young woman), and then months later decided to travel around Hong Kong and Thailand by myself. Many women that age don't do such independent travel and so far from "home". Though not the whole time, some of the time I rented some mighty modest sleeping accommodations. One was the size of a small shed (maybe 6' x 8' total) and actually was a concrete room (no window) with just a little mattress and mosquito net. I think it cost the equivalent of $5 per night. Showers were outdoor communal showers, with no curtains. Others were hostels with mixed male-female rooms with six to ten beds in each room, some with bed bugs. I recall chaining my suitcase to the beds with a lock. I was a bit manic for some of that time, not even now knowing how I knew how to get around, traveling hundreds of miles to various Thai cities. That wasn't my first time in Taiwan alone, nor my first time traveling abroad mostly on my own. Unlike most parents, mine weren't phased by my journeys and didn't really worry. Often I didn't even call home for several weeks at a time. A few years before, when teaching in Poland as a part of a cultural exchange, the director of the program called me into his office and asked why I never called my parents, while all other participants did frequently. I recall responding "Well, I assume that if anything happened to me you'd call my parents. They know that." I think it surprised the heck out of him, but seemed so normal and logical to me.

What do you like to do in the hour before bed?

Psych Medications:
* Tegretol XR (carbamazepine ER) 800 mg
* Lamictal (lamotrigine) 150 mg
* Seroquel XR (quetiapine ER) 600 mg

I also take meds for blood pressure, cholesterol, and tachycardia.
Soupe du jour is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Nammu