View Single Post
Anonymous43372
Anonymous43372 has no updates. Edit

Default Aug 04, 2022 at 01:48 AM

So, the industry is a daycare center (part of a large chain). The job is for an intermediate teacher. I applied for this role last month, and accepted the job offer and even signed a contract. Great, I thought. Until the truth came out.

The executive director who hired me admitted that she doesn't have a permanent classroom role for me after all, and so she went into their HR system, and registered me as a "float" at her center instead of the role she hired me for "permanent teacher."

When I found this out, I was pretty upset. To offer me a $42K/yr job that doesn't actually exist yet (her excuse: enrollment numbers) borders on employment law violation. Essentially: she posted a fake job ad for her center for a permanent teacher, when she in fact does not have a classroom for that position.

She sent me to another center as a "float," where I"ve been in limbo for two weeks. There are other centers hiring permanent teaching positions. So, I went on the daycare website and applied for those..

My concern is that this toxic executive director who only hired me but hasn't utilized me a a float teacher at her own center. She accused me of acting unprofessional when I expressed my shock at the way she intentionally mislead job seekers like myself that she had a permanet daycare teaching role available at her center.

The other center where I've been for two weeks as a float is not hiring full-time. The executive director there, heard my story and agreed to help me find a permanent teaching role at one of the other centers with the help of the toxic executive director from the other daycare center.

I'm a little worried about my credibility with this daycare company as a float, despite receiving positive feedback from the teachers I've co-taught with for the past two weeks. I say that, b/c the executive director of the center where I am a float, isn't the one who initially hired me. She just agreed to let me do float work at her center without more information as to when that will end.

My goal is financial stability. Working as a daycare float teacher is not financially stable. And, can I trust either executive director's opinion to their fellow executive directors at the other centers who do have full-time teaching roles open (hopefully not fake job postings just to hire more float staff)?

Where am I being unreasonable, exactly? This executive director who hired me to be a teacher at her center, where there never was a teaching role available, is who I am worried about serving as a job reference to other executive directors, especially since she accused me of being "unprofessional" when I asked her to explain why she'd hire someone for a teaching role she doesn't actually have available. $42K is a lot of money.

I went ahead and applied to the other daycare centers who posted full-time teaching jobs and listed the teachers I've been a float for the past two weeks, as references. My hope is that will at least work in my favor, as opposed to waiting for either of the two executive directors (both women) to call around to the centers hiring full-time (as they claimed that they would) because I have no idea if they would even give me a positive recommendation.

I know that the first executive director won't speak well of me, and I don't know if the second executive director will speak well of me since she isn't the one who hired me to begin with.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote