catches the flowers

Member Since Jul 2019
23.7k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Aug 04, 2022 at 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soupe du jour View Post
@*Beth*, I hope the Lithium works out well for you. Pretty much every psychiatrist I've ever been to sang its praises, including my present one. I've encountered many that really found it the wonder drug (or almost). I took it twice in the past. The first time for about nine months and the second for around six years. I wouldn't say that it was ever my wonder drug, but my moods were at least somewhat improved on it, though I always took it with an antipsychotic. I've heard of many who had few (if any) side effects, though I wasn't one of those people. In fact, one time I listed 10 side effects that I attributed to it, though I didn't suffer from all simultaneously and some were lesser annoyances than others. Like Nammu, I didn't have weight gain. In fact, I lost quite a chunk of weight on Lithium, the second time on it. I also retained most of that weight loss for a good five years, until a less weight friendly antipsychotic was added again.

You will hopefully be in the crowd that has few, if any, Lithium side effects. I do recommend the following:

1. Asking your pdoc to take the lowest possible efficacious dose. Kay Redfield Jamison wrote this, too, in her memoir "An Unquiet Mind". And I had a friend who swore her low"ish" dose served her well. This cuts down on side effects and helps eliminate dangers, like toxicity.

Okay, got it. My PA has prescribed 330 a.m./300 p.m. So, the lowest starting dose.

2. Be sure your doc orders frequent Lithium level blood tests, especially in early months. Also, thyroid functioning tests and creatinine levels (relating to kidney functioning).

Thankfully, he seems well-informed on this. I have my first blood lab on Tuesday.

3. Drink A LOT of water, even if it makes you pee a lot. Also, if you need an OTC pain reliever, I'd stick with acetaminophen over NSAIDS. Try to be consistent with salt consumption (I didn't say reduce or increase).

Fortunately, I love water and do drink a lot - and yes, I do pee a lot, too. But the taste of the water & the hydration is worth it to me. I'm not big on salt, so that's good. I'm curious - why are NSAIDS not preferred?

4. As people first get used to Lithium, they may experience upset stomach. This usually disappears after a short time. Ditto for dizziness/balance issues.

Okay, that's good to know. I am concerned about those 3 possible side effects.

5. Some Lithium side effects can be eased/eliminated by either drinking more water, or a dose adjustment. Or at worst, a side effect med. That is if you have any. Others may come and go.

Thank you, Soupe, for all the valuable info. I very much appreciate it.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

*Beth* is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Anonymous 42424, bizi, Soupe du jour

Thanks for this!
bizi, downandlonely