View Single Post
LonesomeTonight
Always in This Twilight

Member Since Feb 2015
75k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Aug 11, 2022 at 06:24 AM

I know this will be difficult, but I would first share your fears that if you tell her about some of these things, she won't look at you the same way again, might be unwilling to hug you, etc. If you can't say that part out loud, you could write it/type it, and hand it to her.

She will likely (hopefully!) provide you with reassurance that she won't change how she sees you and, assuming you've hugged before, that she wouldn't take that away. If you've never hugged or asked about hugging before, it could simply be that she, like my therapist, has a no-hugging policy and has nothing to do with what you told her. But that could be something to ask about, too, if you don't know her policy.

I once told my therapist that I was worried he'd look at me differently once I shared something sex-related that I'd done in the past. He said that he's known me for a long time (3 years at that point) and didn't think anything I said could change how he thinks of me. So it helped to hear him say that. Pre-pandemic, I also said I was worried that something I'd share transference-related would mean he'd stop shaking my hand at the end. And he said that wouldn't happen either, that he wouldn't take that away. It helped to know that.

I think if you address these fears with her first, it will feel safer to talk about your thoughts.
LonesomeTonight is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Rustyfinger, SlumberKitty

Thanks for this!
Rustyfinger