View Single Post
AzulOscuro
Grand Magnate

Member Since Nov 2014
1,758 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Aug 11, 2022 at 11:47 AM

I posted this message in my other thread about putting yourself out there. I know it’s a thread that fit in the social anxiety forum and I’m planning to hang it on there as well when the threads progress. But, I see replies from people who has not problems with interacting with other people may be very helpful. In the end social phobic in recovering need experience and knowledge and what a better way to get this knowledge than from people who already have had experiences in this field.
This is what I wrote:

Going on with learning social skills, reading a commentary somewhere here about a person not being very lucky, to say it least, giving advice or wanting to solve another person’s problems when they have been not asked for…(sorry, I have the habit to express myself with long paragraphs and I think this is not the usual or it’s not well-seen in English. Not sure), the thing is that the person who exposed his/her problem only wanted to be listened.
Well, after reading this commentary, a light switched on my head.
I tend to do the same when someone tells me about his/her problems. If I know how this person could solve a certain problem, I don’t doubt to tell it. And I even said that even if I don’t know what to say or how to sort it out, I think and think to see if something come out from my head.

I’m considering now that it’s not the right thing to do. This thought never popped into my mind before. Maybe, it’s a habit I acquired in my profession from being a teacher.

I want you to give your opinion and insight about how it’s better to address to these kinds of situations. Are there some moments in which is more appropriated to offer your insight, your help, your two cents as English speaking people usually say?
In case you have an idea it’s better to ask the person if your insight is welcome?
Giving your insight choosing the right words so it won’t seem that you are telling the person what to do? Or simply stay silent and only being an active listener?
So many questions for you. But, you all have been very supportive in this thread so I’m interested in your insight. No matter if you have to tell me a comment that I might not like.
I’m not here to listen to nice things. I want to hear you. Whatever! I’m taking note
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 4EE0ACF4-36D2-41B1-BA46-264921B3E127.jpeg (26.5 KB, 0 views)

Mankind is complex: Make deserts blossom and lakes die. ( GIL SCOTT-HERSON)
AzulOscuro is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
Discombobulated, eskielover