View Single Post
Cocosurviving
Elder

Member Since Sep 2012
308 hugs
given
Default Aug 15, 2022 at 02:08 PM

It’s been a while since I gave an update.
I spoke with my immunologist in April 2022 regarding my concerns with taking too many medications. Many medications also cause vitamin deficiencies.

I’m aware and acknowledge many of the autoimmune illnesses and rare illnesses I am diagnosed with, have a history of causing vitamin deficiencies.

Inflammation does cause the diagnosed autoimmune illnesses and rare diseases to flare up. I’m at a place in my life that I connect with functional medicine vs conventional.

I want to understand the root cause vs accept using medication for life as a bandaid.

I use a monthly flare up tracker. All the common symptoms I experience are listed and I mark an “x” on days I experience said symptoms.

During my follow up appointment on July 25th, 2022. My immunologist was flabbergasted while looking at my monthly flare up trackers for April- July 2022.

He immediately asked what did I do to decrease my flare ups by 75%.
I started transitioning to vegan on May 23rd 2022.

Am I suggesting I will never need another medication ever, no. —However I will not accept taking multiple medications for the rest of my life based on “my diagnosed” medical illnesses.

Am I suggesting vegan is for everyone, no. I never said or suggested vegan is for everyone. I knew vegan would work “for me”because my ancestors (Ethiopian and Muscogee Nation) ate primarily vegan or Ital prior to colonization. SAD; standard american diet is the death of BIPOC.

My ancestors did not consume dairy at all. Meat was not regularly consumed and primarily during celebratory occasions (wedding).

I’m not making suggestions to anyone however I am not interested in negative feedback. I’m simply celebrating and stating what has worked for me based on “my diagnosed” autoimmune illnesses and rare illnesses. Plus my ancestral lifestyle (vegan, Ital) vs SAD (standard american diet).

My Goal- Fruits, vegetables, and beans instead of supplements to provide the fiber and vitamins they contain.

I’m going to speak with my immunologist about discontinuing all vitamins and supplements (except vitamin D and biotin).
I want to getting my annual physical and seeing if I still have vitamin deficiencies “without” taking vitamins.

Cronometer app- I use Cronometer because it gives a better information on the foods you consume—-regarding vitamins and nutrition.
I have previously worked with a few nutritionists and have a good grasp of reading food labels and which whole foods contain essential vitamins and nutrients.

Whole foods – like vegetables, fruits, whole grains, nuts, and legumes -- retain their fiber as well as the whole portfolio of beneficial phytochemicals and nutrients that are often removed in processed foods.

I do have diagnoses of : Depression, Fibromyalgia and Atopic Dermatitis as well.
I do not take/declined to take; any medications for Depression and Fibromyalgia. I treat both with natural methods and healthy coping skills.

Morning

Selenium- Recommended by Endocrinologist to treat Thyroid Disease; discontinued taking 4/2022. I eat Brazilian nuts as a substitute.

Vitamin B12- Recommended by immunologist based on labs of vitamin deficiencies. I currently take daily as recommended.

Vitamin D-Recommended by immunologist based on labs of vitamin deficiencies. I currently take daily as recommended.

Synthroid- Prescribed by Endocrinologist to treat Thyroid Disease; I currently take daily as prescribed.

Biotin - Recommended by dermatologist to treat Alopecia; I currently take daily as recommended.

Zyrtec- Prescribed by immunologist to help control Chronic Urticaria. I discontinued taking daily 4/2022 ; instead I take as needed.

Pantoprazole- Prescribed by immunologist to help with ulcers. I discontinued taking 7/2022.

Trelegy Ellipta- Prescribed by immunologist to help control asthma; I currently take daily as prescribed.

Bedtime

Allegra- Recommended by immunologist to help control Chronic Urticaria; discontinued 7/2022.

Selenium- Recommended by immunologist to treat Thyroid Disease ; discontinued 4/2022.

Magnesium- Recommended by immunologist based on labs of vitamin deficiencies. I currently take daily as recommended.

Famotidine- Prescribed by immunologist to help with ulcers. I discontinued taking 4/2022.

Echinacea and Yarrow - I taking during weather changes and flare ups to help boost my immune system.

Atenolol -Prescribed by immunologist to help control migraines; I discontinued taking 4/2022.

Hydroxyzine -Prescribed by immunologist to help control Chronic Urticaria. I take as needed for flare ups.

Doxepin -Prescribed by immunologist to help control Chronic Urticaria and Angioedema. I continue to take daily as prescribed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1). Depression
2). PTSD
3). Anxiety
4). Hashimoto
5). Fibromyalgia
6). Asthma
7). Atopic dermatitis
8). Chronic Idiopathic Urticaria
9). Hereditary Angioedema (HAE-normal C-1)
10). Gluten sensitivity
11). EpiPen carrier
12). Food allergies, medication allergies and food intolerances. .
13). Alopecia Areata
Cocosurviving is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote