View Single Post
NatalieJastrow
Veteran Member

Member Since Aug 2020
261 hugs
given
Default Sep 03, 2022 at 05:46 PM

So in considering to get another pet... I came to a conclusion about not wanting to get one... none have ever loved me.

My first cat wasn't particularly mine... but he absolutely hated me. He would hiss at me all the time. He LOVED my dad. Slept with my dad... went to bed with my dad. I assumed it was just a weird thing. She was a gray tabby. She never came to visit me. But at the time I was living in a crowded house so I figured maybe she just wanted to go where it wasn't crowded.

My first dog was a german shepard. Now he wasn't my dog but I took care of him all the time. He didn't really love me. He seemed to really love my brother who could play rough with him.

My second cat was mine and mine alone. I picked him out etc. He was a black and white cat and I have always felt they are a little strange. He probably liked me more than most. My mom told me every night around 4:30 (and I would get home from work at 5:30) he would head to my bedroom (which was beside the driveway) to wait for me. But still... he never slept with me and wasn't at all affectionate. But I spent most of my life with him. Getting him my first year of grad school where I was home all the time.

My third and final cat ... right from the start I was his roommate. Another black and white cat. He didn't ever want to be on my lap. Never wanted to sleep with me...never would come over to my face if I was crying.... Honestly I felt like he was a burden. Nothing was ever easy with him and I didn't get much for it. My guess was I was working full time and I only had about a week with him before I had to go to work full time every day.

Are there some cats that are just generally more affectionate and I am just picking poor breeds? All of the cats were gotten when they were kittens and were from shelters.

I thought maybe it was because I live alone but my first cat was with my family and it was a busy cramped house.

Is there anything I can do -- should I wait until I have a long time at home? Should I get an older pet? Are there certain breeds likely to be friendly and affectionate?
NatalieJastrow is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Anonymous32448, downandlonely, unaluna