View Single Post
downandlonely
Legendary

Member Since Mar 2018
10.6k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Sep 06, 2022 at 12:44 PM

About the kids thing, a baby boomer told me it was selfish not to have kids. But my whole life, I had to listen to my mom telling me that none of us were wanted by her. She got married and had kids because she was expected to. I grew up wishing she had given me up for adoption to a mother who wanted kids.

I decided not to have biological children before puberty when I learned about all the mental illness in my family. I've never had a desire to pass on those genes. I had planned to adopt as a single mother, but now think I do not have the mental stability for that. I volunteer with children.

My middle brother is so disabled that he cannot even take care of himself, and the youngest seems to not want children (he is 34). It's not too late for him, I suppose. But I think it's likely that my parents will not have grandchildren.

I see all sorts of crappy and abusive parents as well as people who cannot even take care of themselves trying to conceive. I know there's no point in trying to talk people out of having children if they are dead set on it, but I really think people who can't take even take care of themselves or who don't want children shouldn't have them.
downandlonely is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
*Beth*

Thanks for this!
*Beth*, Masks2many, nonightowl, Travelinglady