nonightowl wonders if anybody reads this

15 yr Member
6,675 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Angry Sep 08, 2022 at 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpforever1 View Post
Geez, I feel blessed that I have enough food to eat, clothes to wear, and a place to sleep. I don't think I will receive SSI since I have not earned enough so I need to work until I drop dead. My parents receive SSI but it is not enough. I don't know how the elderly get by in the USA but there is not much of a social welfare system here. I feel blessed but realize the system is broke. I want to work but don't know if I will find another job.
SSI is based on medical conditions making you unable to work. SSDI requires a certain amount of work credits, even if you have medical conditions. So if you don't have enough, you don't get it even if disabled. SSI is so draconian, you have to be practically on your last dime. And they demand a lot of proof of medical conditions, be it physical or mental, that keep you from working or working full-time.

SSDI isn't based on financial need but SSI is, yet you can't have more than a certain amount in the bank or value of total assets.

Most people are rejected when applying for either, after waiting months for approval, and an "appeal" takes forever.

I agree that the system is very, very broken here. The government punishes people for making "too much" or "over the income threshold" which is very low. If you get food stamps for example, they'll reduce your benefit if you make over a certain amount. (I know FS is not just for seniors but it's just an example)

Age requirements for SS, punitive rules for 401(k)'s, etc. I don't know how ANYONE makes it in the US unless you have a high income and strong safety net (financial and human).

The "jobs" they keep touting are too physically demanding for seniors, what with all the walking/standing or volatile working hours. They require you to already have certain skills and don't want to train now.

We stigmatize the unemployed, senior or not. In the US you're supposed to pull yourself up by your bootstraps and have a positive attitude. It will get you what you need. Sorry, but you can't tell your landlord you can't pay rent but have a positive attitude.

If not for my modest 401(k) (which has lost money because of world events) I'd be on the street or dead. I would have to work too but I don't know what I can apply for or do. A lot of employers want the sun and the moon, plus another language spoken. And they have the nerve to say they can't find enough workers to fill their vacancies.

The "economy is strong" according to the government. Well they just count CLAIMS and that's not accurate. Once you run out of unemployment, you drop out of the system and don't get counted anymore, even if still unemployed. So the unemployment rate is "low" and things are rosy.

Not everyone even qualifies for unemployment. All the fraudulent COVID claims that got through make me sick. The government uses outdated software so thieves gamed the system.

Done with my rant on this for today.

Hmmm....looks like some good tips in here.

"Okay, enough photos. I'm a very BUSY Business Kitty, so make an appointment next time."
nonightowl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Travelinglady