View Single Post
DoroMona

Member Since Feb 2018
44 hugs
given
Default Sep 14, 2022 at 11:48 AM

I feel for you. I also have a job I kind of hate, that I procrastinate on and time just slips by with me writing the exact same tasks everyday in my agenda which I end up not doing. Also, like you, I have similar feelings of "I can't actually believe I got through school" and deep suspicions that I have undiagnosed ADHD. Probably nowadays I would have been diagnosed as a kid. I was a "daydreamer" always in school, which is an ADHD sign in girls. We all daydream--but I REALLY daydream. Also I had--and still have--major organizational problems that manifest everywhere.

Sometimes I write down microtasks for myself. So not "Finish this report" or "Complete Figure 1" etc., but more like "1) navigate to the report location" "2) open the report" "3) read paragraph 1 of report". Because it's so damn hard even facing these documents, to the point that it can sometimes easily take me hours to even open the damn thing and look at it in the most superficial way... Don't underestimate the small endorphin rush you get every time you're able to put a checkmark on a task, even as small a task as "open the file."

I tell myself every day is a new day, and I just keep throwing myself at the mountain, googling things like "how to be more organized" "how to cope when you hate your job" "why do we procrastinate" etc. Sometimes I find tidbits that help me. I've recently started being more playful with my agenda, using a wide array of colorful pens and highlighters to make it look happier and doodling around my various lists. Sounds ridiculous but it has helped a bit. Consider bullet journaling? I've also recently designated a day (Thursdays) as my "face the hell" day. I have a meeting every Friday, so on Thursdays I have a bit more pressure to inch along a set of projects. Not sure how that's going to go yet, it's still an "experiment" to see if it helps me with productivity.

Youtube forced me to watch some commercial recently by Peter Sage on procrastination. Don't know anything about him, but he claims to understand procrastination and that his 30 minute youtube video will help me unleash my inner potential. LOL. But hey, I can watch his talk over dinner and maybe there's a tidbit or two there that can help me a little. So I guess with that what I'm really saying is, try to stay hopeful/open/constructive? My SO (who is not a procrastinator) would say such videos are BS, but then I argue it's always better to be constructive and act like there's a way to improve things, even if you feel there isn't. Maybe if you read more about procrastination, something will click and you'll be able to face some of those tasks you hate.

If you think you have ADHD, it's never too late to get diagnosed and try a medication for it. I have a brilliant colleague who started meds in his 50s. It made a huge difference for him.

"Life is not a problem to be solved by a reality to be experienced." - Kierkegaard, helps me put things in perspective when I run out of steam

Good luck.
DoroMona is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Discombobulated