shakespeare47
Grand Magnate

shakespeare47 has no updates.

8 yr Member
437 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Sep 17, 2022 at 08:03 PM

So far - here's what my wife and I know. There have been studies going back to 1990 that show a link between cow's milk formula and NEC in premature infants. That 1990 study found that infants fed cow's milk formula were 20 times more likely to develop NEC. Later studies showed that infants fed breast milk (instead of cow's milk formulas) were 90% less likely to develop NEC.

Quote:
Evidence-Based Feeding Strategies Before and After the Development of Necrotizing Enterocolitis (Expert Rev. Clin. Immunol. July 2014). Here is the key quote: “Necrotizing enterocolitis (N.E.C.) is a devastating disease of premature infants with significant morbidity and mortality. It is well established that the risk is increased by the administration of infant formula.” This will be a key study in any NEC baby formula lawsuit.
Quote:
Another round of clinical study results was published in 2016 (Beyond Necrotizing Enterocolitis Prevention – Breastfeeding Medicine ) and 2017 (Human milk is the feeding strategy to prevent necrotizing enterocolitis – Semin Perinatol.). This language here is pretty unambiguous: “Extremely premature infants who received an exclusive HUM [Human Milk] diet had a significantly lower incidence of NEC and mortality. The HUM group also had a reduction in late-onset sepsis, BPD, and ROP. This multicenter study further emphasizes the many benefits of an exclusive HUM diet, and demonstrates multiple improved outcomes after implementation of such a feeding protocol.”
Quote:
In 2019, Cochrane (an independent health care research group) released the results of the most comprehensive study to date comparing health results for premature babies fed with bovine formula versus human milk. The results of the Cochrane study put to rest any lingering debate about the existence of a causal relationship between cow-milk-based formulas and NEC in premature infants. This study underscores the risk to babies with NEC.
Our attorneys requested our daughter's medical records in order to confirm that she was given Similac - it was difficult going through those records - it brought back a lot of sad memories. And it's becoming increasingly clear that the manufacturers of the formula knew of the risks, but didn't warn anyone.

Hugs from:
Discombobulated