View Single Post
LonesomeTonight
Always in This Twilight

Member Since Feb 2015
75.2k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Sep 25, 2022 at 12:54 AM

So, this is really weird, in a good way: I went to a concert (by myself) in the next state over tonight. When I was walking out of the garage, I asked what I thought was a couple how to get to the park where the concert was. They were going, too, and when they learned I was there by myself, they asked, "Do you want to hang out with us?" I said OK, as they seemed nice (though sometimes I like to be on my own at shows). That's not the weird part.

First, it turns out that the guy used to teach in the county next to where I live and now works in the field in which I got my master's (health science), in the specific area in which I did my internship (and in which I applied for the PhD program), maternal and child health. He said the (major university) where he works may be getting another grant for the program, so he could see if they have any work for me.

So then my daughter came up. I mentioned her being autistic, and the woman said one of her sons is autistic and has some specific quirks in common with my daughter, like I'd mention something, and she'd say, wide-eyed, "Really? My son does that, too!" (turns out she and the guy aren't a couple, just close friends, though they seemed more than that). In mentioning what her son is really into, the one was animals, and she said, "He really loves his guinea pigs." Me: "Seriously? Guinea pigs? I have them, too!" There were a few other things as well.

We exchanged contact info at the end, so hopefully we'll stay in touch (and maybe the guy can help me with a job!) If not, then at least I had some nice conversation and human connection at the show.

Hugs from:
ArtieTheSequal, ElectricManatee, Lemoncake, ScarletPimpernel, SlumberKitty, unaluna

Thanks for this!
ElectricManatee, NP_Complete, unaluna