View Single Post
*Beth*
catches the flowers

Member Since Jul 2019
23.7k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Oct 19, 2022 at 02:14 PM

Welll, My husband is a book collector (for 38 years). He owns over 60,000 books. Many years ago he wanted to open a brick-and-mortar book store. But, our kids were still in elementary school at the time, my husband had a full-time job. I was working p/t in social services and very busy with taking care of my family. Investing in a business (loans, etc.) would have been impossible time & money wise.

I can't recall how, but my husband learned about the possibility of having an online business, which for us meant selling books. So we thought we'd give it a shot. We opened "book shops" on Amazon, on ABEBooks (which is more of a specialized book site), and on Barnes & Noble. We carefully designed our shops, began listing books for sale (giving excellent descriptions of each book), and we give a lot of attention to providing excellent customer service.

That was 14 years ago this month. We have not made a fortune - but the money we make from our book business provides an excellent supplement to our monthly income (we're now both retired). Plus, we enjoy the work; it's especially good for my husband who would be twiddling his thumbs, being retired.

Between 2000 and 2015 I managed a very busy cafe. In addition to being 1 of 2 managers I worked the closing night shift by myself. Not an easy job! I certainly didn't own that business, so didn't have to handle all the financial stuff, but I was excellent at my job. I mean, despite having a mental illness, being on meds, and so forth.

Oh - I meant to mention that both my husband and I are diagnosed with mental illnesses. I am in treatment for mine, he refuses treatment for his.

What kind of business are you thinking of opening?

*Beth* is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Anonymous32448, Bill3, Fuzzybear

Thanks for this!
Bill3, DocJohn, Fuzzybear, lizardlady, TheGal