View Single Post
*Beth*
catches the flowers

Member Since Jul 2019
23.7k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Oct 24, 2022 at 09:27 AM

I absolutely love to travel, I feel I'm in my element when I travel. The feeling of riding in a car or on a plane feels fabulous to me.

I guess we're listing places we've been, so....I live in California and have traveled my state, which is very large - about 800 miles long. The geography of Calif is so diverse, so magnificent; I can't go into it all here. I'll touch on the cities. Los Angeles is...what can I say...its own world. An experience. A bizarre fantasy-land. Hollywood is part of L.A. Unless you are "somebody" and well-protected by barriers and cops when your limo pulls up to the theater or wherever you're going, or unless you're in a car, Hollywood is a truly bizarre place. I have never been afraid anywhere I've traveled except in Hollywood. Anything can happen on those streets. Terrifying.

San Diego is paradise - almost too perfect. I don't so much like it there. San Francisco remains the most truly beautiful city I've ever seen and I've been there whenever possible in my life. The ocean is everything, everything. I grew up and lived until my 50's in our state capital, Sacramento. Sac is a lovely city in many ways; extremely culturally diverse. The Redwoods in NorCal are astounding.

Let's see. My family came out here from Brooklyn shortly before I was born and NYC feels like home to me. I am in love with that city. And yeah, there are all the tourist sites, which are important - but nothing beats a good, long ride on the subway and one of the most spiritual times of my life was one night when I rode the subway from upper Manhattan to Battery Park, where I looked out and saw the Statue of Liberty. I was alone, it was midnight, and no- I was not at all afraid. An unforgettable experience.

I've traveled in the States throughout the Midwest, the south, the southwest (Texas, haha, what a state). And north to Oregon. I found Nevada and Utah to be far more beguiling that the Rockies, which I was disappointed in because the trees are so small compared to trees in California.

Globally, I lived in Israel on a kibbutz for 2 months. The kibbutz was within miles of the Gaza Strip. What can I say...from my apartment windows I saw bomb shelters. The ancientness of Israel is almost, mostly is, overwhelming. Jerusalem (the Old City) is absolutely fascinating. Israel is, above all else, a war zone, I did not travel as a tourist, but as just a person. I would not recommend Israel to anyone from the western world because it will blow your mind like a bad acid trip does.

Besides those places- Germany and France. The architecture of Paris is remarkable. Sadly, Paris is not the place it once was.

Ireland! I adored Ireland and could easily live there. I've never met such sweet, kind people as I did in Ireland, especially coming from California where people are generally so unfriendly. And the land of Ireland is magical, enchanting, a fairy-tale land.

Where do I want to go? The UK. And back to Ireland.

There is never a time when I don't want to travel, but doing so at this point in my life is impossible. Maybe in the future. I hope so.

*Beth* is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
shakespeare47