View Single Post
Soupe du jour
Elder

Member Since Jun 2015
13.4k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Oct 30, 2022 at 09:46 AM

I've taken the extended release of carbamazepine (divided between morning and evening) for about 13/14 years now. I used to take as much as 1,400 mg per day, then 1,200 mg, for several years. About 2 1/2 years ago my dose was decreased to 800 mg per day. Carbamazepine ER (Tegretol XR) is a relatively side effect friendly medication for me. I believe it weight neutral, and though at the higher doses it perhaps caused mild cognitive issues, they weren't as bad as higher doses of Lamictal or Lithium I took. A negative side effect I had at the higher doses was intermittent double vision. When persistent, a dose decrease nipped it by the bud. I think when I first started carbamazepine ER I had some mild dizziness, but that disappeared.

I did take oxcarbazepine, briefly, maybe 15/16 years ago. It wasn't effective enough at the time, so they stopped it. I don't remember side effects, and am unsure of the dose. I recall being told that it has milder or fewer drug interactions than does carbamazepine, but these interactions have always been minor for me, and all the effects were was a necessity for certain med dose adjustments. My Seroquel XR interacts, my levothyroxine, I think the Lamictal, and there were others. I'm just fine. The most problematic interaction was birth control. A copper IUD was a good option.

I'm unsure if carbamazepine alone would ever be quite enough to fully treat my bipolar disorder. Since my diagnosis 17+ years ago, I've always also been on an antipsychotic. Carbamazepine stopped some musical and other auditory hallucinations, plus visual distortions, I suffered from about 15 years ago. I'm certain it was carbamazepine to thank, so I would rather never go off of it.

Psych Medications:
* Tegretol XR (carbamazepine ER) 800 mg
* Lamictal (lamotrigine) 150 mg
* Seroquel XR (quetiapine ER) 600 mg

I also take meds for blood pressure, cholesterol, and tachycardia.
Soupe du jour is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
pacman_789