Community Liaison
Chat Leader

CANDC has no updates.

8 yr Member
2,307 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Nov 04, 2022 at 06:44 PM

@Jentwin I admire your desire to help your brother. The problem with people in manic state is they can lose touch with all conventional behavior and either go on spending spree or do illegal activities.

If your brother will stay on medication they may stay more stable. Then supporting them could be easier. DBSA has programs for both supporters and the people who have bipolar.

If brother refuses medication they are setting themselves up for possibly going around in circles. I could not have supported a person with mania without them getting professional help including inpatient treatment. Perhaps you might consider starting the DBSA (local branches and or National on Zoom) or NAMI support group now and learn more about the challenges you could face supporting your brother.

Self care is very important supporting someone with serious mental health issues. You might want to start and exercise program, mindfulness, therapy and maintaining a healthy diets free of intoxicants in order to get solid and non reactive when dealing with your brother.

If your brother can be transferred to inpatient facility, they would get better support than in prison.

Feel free to reply here or message me. @CANDC

"Things Take Time"
CANDC is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote