Magnate

Member Since Apr 2016
199 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Nov 12, 2022 at 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonightowl View Post
I agree. I'm sure a lot of kids love Christmas because of the presents, but now that I'm older I'm thinking of orphaned kids or those with abusive parents or absentee parents, whatnot. Or those in poverty---no money for trees or presents or candy! I'm way more painfully aware of the "haves and have nots" now, and I now get it why it's not all joy for everybody, experiencing it personally as well.

We went through the motions when I was a kid, and for many years I thought it was about food and gifts and games. It should be about being with people you care about, their company IS the gift. Time you spend with people can't be bought. Gifts can be returned or exchanged, but once that time passes you by, it's gone. You can't turn back the clock.
Yep I agree, kids don't understand since all they hear is the idea of a fairytale man in a red suit coming down the chimney to give out presents. I actually think that should be stopped, if I ever have kids then I'm not telling them Santa is real. I want them to be more appreciative, they need to know what Christmas is really about. Usually when we get older then we come to understand what it really should be about, it should be about enjoying the company of others and honestly if there was a time where gift exchanges were either watered down or abolished completely then I would not lose sleep over it.
rdgrad15 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
nonightowl, Soupe du jour

Thanks for this!
nonightowl, Soupe du jour