View Single Post
shakespeare47
Grand Magnate

Member Since Jul 2014
437 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Nov 12, 2022 at 04:07 PM

Here are some more details about my 2nd episode - which happened about 3 years after the first one. I felt a little off when I got up in the morning - I hadn't slept well - during the night I kept waking myself up by taking deep breaths (shortness of breath is one of the symptoms of atrial fibrillation). I felt my pulse and it seemed off. - I remembered my previous episode and wondered if I was experiencing afib again. So I drove myself to the ER to be sure (I stopped at McDonald's on the way - I was pretty hungry). At the ER they hooked me up to a heart monitor and told me that my heart was beating so fast that it was dangerous for me - so they decided to use electric cardioversion. The patient is put under general anesthesia during the procedure (I was only out for a few minutes).

Quote:
Cardioversion is a medical procedure that uses quick, low-energy shocks to restore a regular heart rhythm. It's a treatment for certain types of irregular heartbeats (arrhythmias), including atrial fibrillation (A-fib). Sometimes cardioversion is done using medications.

Cardioversion is usually scheduled in advance but is sometimes done in emergencies. Usually, cardioversion quickly restores a typical heart rhythm.

Cardioversion is different from defibrillation, an emergency procedure that's done when the heart stops or quivers uselessly. Defibrillation delivers more powerful shocks to the heart to correct its rhythm.
Luckily for me, the cardioversion worked and my heart beat returned to normal sinus rhythm and stayed that way until my most recent episode (I suppose it's possible that I had short episodes that I just didn't notice).

Last edited by shakespeare47; Nov 12, 2022 at 05:07 PM..
shakespeare47 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote