Magnate

Member Since Apr 2016
199 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Nov 15, 2022 at 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonightowl View Post
And speaking of guns, we've had yet ANOTHER school/mass shooting. What a headline to wake up to......It seems nobody knows how to fix this problem that other countries don't have.

I started detesting New Year's Eve and New Year's many years ago. The latter isn't so bad to me as long as nobody says Happy New Year...which they will. Otherwise, they are busy sleeping off their hangover so I wake up to a quiet morning. And I've stopped watching the parade live for eons now.

Been recording it the last 20 years I think, and I can watch just the float footage. All those bands and horses are boring. It's the creativity of the floats I appreciate, but TV doesn't do them justice I'm sure. They don't stay on it long enough or get close enough, I think.

If you're alone on NYE or NY's, you're a loser---that's the message I get.

People think because it's a new year, I'm supposed to be optimistic. (I recently read a book: Toxic Positivity: Keeping it real in a world obsessed with being happy by Whitney Goodman. It explains where all this forced positivity comes from) During the initial COVID outbreak, the senior center was sending out newsletters telling us we "must be upbeat about this." And stuff about virtual classes with pictures of people smiling and exercising. WTF?

Many seniors don't have the tech or know how to use it much. And smiling anchors on the news, telling us cases are up so masks might be reinstated (months ago, not now). What are they smiling about???????!!!! Off topic I know, but I just go to thinking about the mindset in this culture period, not just the holidays. We slap a smile on everything.
Yeah I've noticed people think you're a loser if you don't like New Years Eve. It's just an excuse to drink and be loud. Also I agree we do slap a smile on everything and in some cases it's to be professional in a work environment but it's still annoying. It's very obvious when people are putting on a smile as an act and genuinely smiling.
rdgrad15 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
nonightowl

Thanks for this!
nonightowl