Grand Magnate

Member Since Oct 2019
11.7k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Nov 24, 2022 at 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose76 View Post
Here's a saying I think most of us have heard. It goes: "You teach people how to treat you." The longer I live, the more I see the truth in that. There is such a thing as making yourself too available.

I know I've done that. I can't totally fault others. I give off mixed signals. When someone imposes on me and I reward them, they're likely to keep doing it. I hate to cut anyone short. I've had people call me up and want to stay on the phone for hours. And I went along with it because they seemed so in need of a shoulder. I'm not really helping anyone by listening so long that my arm hurts and my ear gets sore. I'm accompanying this person down a dead end road. If I stop doing that, I may come off as abrupt at first. But practice makes perfect. I trust I'll get better at finding a reasonably gracious way to acknowledge another person, respond . . . and move on, when enough should be enough.
This sounds like a good plan, I too have done what you have too as regards allowing others to do this to me. I need to practice better boundaries too!

I think you’re raising a good point about it not really helping anyone, sometimes it seems to feed negativity.
Discombobulated is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Fuzzybear

Thanks for this!
Rose76