View Single Post
The_little_didgee
Grand Magnate

Member Since Apr 2013
PC PoohBah!
Default Nov 26, 2022 at 02:33 PM

Yesterday I met with an advocate from an Indigenous organization to discuss my traumatic dealings with the General Hospital. The psych service now called Mental Health diagnosed me based on the side effects of medications and misdiagnosed delirium due to polypharmacy because certain staff psychiatrists didn't recognize their cognitive biases and stereotyping. Note that it was easier to destroy me than try to figure out what was going on.

I laughed when the lady asked me what floor I was on. When I blurted out 4 North, she knew exactly what I was in the hospital for before I even told her.

The plan is to write the corrections request letter for all my discharge summaries first. There is a lot of inaccurate information contained in these documents. They wrote my father was an an alcoholic who sexually and physically abused me. He did not.

We also discussed the possibility of contacting a lawyer. I'm not interested in suing for malpractice at this point even though I may have a case for the drug induced delirium I had. I also told her I want to submit a complaint to the Ontario Privacy Commissioner's office about the hospital's encounters list on EPIC and OACIS. Some visits list psychiatric diagnoses entered by emergency medicine physicians without me seeing the psych service which was usually a resident.

I have a consent directive on my records that is supposed to protect me and my privacy. It is useless with the encounters list because it contains psych diagnoses made by emergency physicians. -- This list was used by a nurse to gather information and a misdiagnosis since nothing else was available to him.

For the curious: Consent Directives - The Ottawa Hospital

Something positive in going to come out of this. I can feel it. I'm not the only Indigenous person mistreated by this hospital. There are a lot of us. We are going to bring it to their attention.

Hugs from:
unaluna

Thanks for this!
unaluna