Wisest Elder Ever

Member Since Nov 2002
81.2k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Nov 27, 2022 at 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose76 View Post
Here's a saying I think most of us have heard. It goes: "You teach people how to treat you." The longer I live, the more I see the truth in that. There is such a thing as making yourself too available.

I know I've done that. I can't totally fault others. I give off mixed signals. When someone imposes on me and I reward them, they're likely to keep doing it. I hate to cut anyone short. I've had people call me up and want to stay on the phone for hours. And I went along with it because they seemed so in need of a shoulder. I'm not really helping anyone by listening so long that my arm hurts and my ear gets sore. I'm accompanying this person down a dead end road. If I stop doing that, I may come off as abrupt at first. But practice makes perfect. I trust I'll get better at finding a reasonably gracious way to acknowledge another person, respond . . . and move on, when enough should be enough.
I think some people misinterpret kindness for ''weakness''. Those people are very foolish. But setting boundaries with people who only want us to listen to them and are unable or unwilling to reciprocate - they are, or come accross as, both needy and ''greedy'' (if this occurs on multiple occasions) is I guess, essential to our well being.

I've said ''no'' to people in a gentle way and been attacked. Those people are worse than ''needy''..

Hugs from:
Discombobulated, Rosi700

Thanks for this!
Discombobulated, Rose76