Rosi700
Grand Member

Member Since Nov 2022
2,850 hugs
given
Default Nov 28, 2022 at 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose76 View Post
My neighbor does seem to think I'm weak. She is a strong person, herself, and a bit overbearing in her manner. She goes to a nearby gym a lot to work out and convinced me to join. But I don't go as faithfully as she does. So she says that I need "to do something" more than I'm doing. She tells me I spend too much time home alone by myself and that I need to get out more. She says, "You have to be strong." as though I'm some kind of wimp. She asks me why I'm not dating anyone. She says I keep my curtains drawn too much. Living in a first floor triplex apartment, I feel like I'm in a fish bowl being observed and judged. I guess that's her way of giving me attention, but it's of a negative kind.

May be what you need is to set boundaries around youself! She probably thinks she helps you (save you from some sort of isolation). There are two Christian Psychologists (Cloud and Towswnd) that has written books about boundaries.

Physical activity, beieng with others and so on is part of making depression less harmful. If I were you I would have told her that you apreciate her consern (to make her feel noticed as somebody who wish you well) and then that said that you need to go in youir own tempo.

Thanks for this!
Discombobulated, Rose76