Soupe du jour
Elder

Member Since Jun 2015
13.4k hugs
given
Default Dec 11, 2022 at 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondtheRainbow View Post
This is really weird but I had one manic episode where I desperately wanted to smoke. I had never even taken a puff of a cigarette but I was certain that would cure me. I resisted but it was really hard.

Do you have any special holiday traditions?
On my side of the family, nothing too different than the usual American tradition. I'll admit that since my mother died we have had Christmas dinner at a Chinese restaurant a couple of times. I think we'll do that again this year. Peking duck will likely be ordered as one of the dishes. Christmas Day has sucked in my family since my mom died! I doubt it will ever recover.

As for my husband's side, and as a married couple, we follow the usual Czech Christmas traditions, for the most part. The biggest dinner is on Christmas Eve, though another nice meal is also served on Christmas Day. The traditional Christmas Eve meal is carp soup, carp, potato salad, and other sides, though those who hate carp usually eat pork schnitzel. A sweet bread called vanocka and lots of Christmas cookies. Gifts are exchanged after the evening meal. We had no kids, but that's when "Baby Jesus" has brought the gifts and usually even the decorated tree. Saint Nicholas is not involved with this day. Instead, there is a Feast of Saint Nicholas in early December. There are other traditions, as well. One involving putting melted lead in water and one in floating walnut shells with candles in them. And others. People also save carp scales for good luck.

What Christmas (or other holiday) tradition do you enjoy most?

Psych Medications:
* Tegretol XR (carbamazepine ER) 800 mg
* Lamictal (lamotrigine) 150 mg
* Seroquel XR (quetiapine ER) 600 mg

I also take meds for blood pressure, cholesterol, and tachycardia.
Soupe du jour is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote