Grand Magnate

Member Since Jul 2014
437 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Dec 23, 2022 at 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Beth* View Post

Oooh, hiway 1! Magnificent! I hope you have an absolutely wonderful trip.

Venice Beach was always one of my most beloved spots of all the places I've been. But I haven't visited since the late '90's and by all accounts it has changed dramatically. California now has the highest homeless population in the nation, with L.A. being one of the top cities, Venice Beach being the top. The entire situation is tragic. The economy is in a horrendous state, addiction is out of control, dah, dah, dah...and of course, the Calif coastal towns/cities are ideal places for unhomed people to live. Certainly not much is being done to help them. My son is politically very liberal, lives in San Francisco, he and his wife pay over $4,000/month for a small flat, and he's so frustrated (as about everyone who lives in the city is) because he bicycles around and says his tires are caked with human sh-it...people living in the streets have no facilities. No blame, it's just

Anyway, sorry. I went on a rant. As a native of this gorgeous state and as a humanitarian, the homeless problem is both frustrating and heartbreaking.

BUT! There's so much that's great here. I can't wait to hear about your trip when you return!
Universal Basic Income is sounding better and better all the time.

Did you ever get to see the Redwoods?

Thanks for this!
*Beth*