Human

Member Since Apr 2014
1,262 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Dec 28, 2022 at 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaindewed View Post
I guess the new trend is to have autism. Thats what my therapist told me on Wednesday. I'd love "not" to have it myself. Plus people faking stuff is not cool. I know this girl with bad BPD who is faking autism and it makes my blood boil. I know you get treated very well by the medical and mental health field if you have it, but I honestly find it hell to live with and I worry a lot about my future.

Has anyone else heard that the new thing now is to have autism?
I've heard people say that who want to explain away the rise in Autism diagnoses. The fact is that the original diagnostic criteria was based on a small subset of the population so that girls/women and Black, Hispanic, or any other non White race/ethnicity doesn't present the way white boys do. A lot of women and non White people are getting diagnosed now that there is more understanding of what Autism looks like in other demographics.

I think your doctor was being diminutive and dismissive because self diagnosis has been widely accepted in the Autism community since formal diagnosis is so inaccessible, and the Autism community has put forth a lot of resources to help people self assess. Nobody wants to be Autistic. It's not a trend. People who are looking to it for answers are doing so to help them understand themselves, not to be trendy.

I have been working through self assessment and evaluation and research for a couple of years now as diagnosis is not an option for me right now (and not sure it will ever be). I'm not doing it because my life isn't hell. I agree with you: what I experience is hell to live with, but understanding what it is helps me set up the right supports for myself.

Remember that before you can even approach formal diagnosis, most people self diagnosis - that's how they even know to pursue formal diagnosis. It's the same with ANY disorder. We think something is wrong, we do some research, we follow up with a doctor if it's necessary.

But I am guessing that maybe your therapist was being sarcastic and didn't really mean it was the "cool" thing. I'm guessing because I don't understand when others use sarcasm usually. But past experience and rules of engagement tell me it might be so. I am on TikTok and Twitter and participate in these communities and it's absolutely NOT a "cool" trend. The reason it comes about on social media is because people who were scared to ever talk about the things they experience now have a community and feel safe to discuss with others and learn and maybe figure out what they are going through. It is a good thing.

What if I fall? Oh, my dear, but what if you fly?

Primary Dx: C-PTSD and Severe Chronic Treatment Resistant Major Depressive Disorder
Secondary Dx: Generalized Anxiety Disorder with mild Agoraphobia.

Meds I've tried: Prozac, Zoloft, Celexa, Effexor, Remeron, Elavil, Wellbutrin, Risperidone, Abilify, Prazosin, Paxil, Trazadone, Tramadol, Topomax, Xanax, Propranolol, Valium, Visteril, Vraylar, Selinor, Clonopin, Ambien

Treatments I've done: CBT, DBT, Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS), Talk therapy, psychotherapy, exercise, diet, sleeping more, sleeping less...
seesaw is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
*Beth*, Discombobulated, The_little_didgee, unaluna