lemonSys

Member Since Nov 2022
228 hugs
given
Default Jan 05, 2023 at 09:49 PM

Hello 👋 @cool09

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool09 View Post
How do you know when you have an identity disorder?
I’m not clear on the difference - if any - between an “identity” disorder and a “dissociative” disorder, so I don’t know how to answer your stated question.

When it comes to dissociative disorders, the (definitive) answer to “how do you know” is, unfortunately, “stupid/unhelpful” (so to speak) for many a person that wonders — you have to talk to a professional about your own experiences and go from there.

But, my personal opinion here, I think if yer asking the question - seriously considering it and not “exaggerating”or “lying” or whatever to yourself about how you experience things - it’s prolly an indication that yer somewhere “above normal” (whatever that may be) on the “disorder” continuum.

Quote:
I had a depersonalization disorder when I was younger.
I think depersonalization disorder is a dissociative disorder - or at least an aspect of one of several “inclusionary criteria” for a dissociative disorder. I have no clue how that can change over the years - like does it “go away” as one ages or heals or whatever. Or is it a “once you are, you always are” kinda thing.

I spose this isn’t very helpful, really. This isn’t a “get a diagnosis” or a “yes I have/no I don’t have” kinda place.

But, if you want to share anything you’re feeling/experiencing in life - dissociative experiences in particular in this forum - folks here will comment/share anything they may have experienced or learned or whatever if they feel it relates. And, for me at least, that - community, understanding, other views, suggestions, knowing I’m not (always) crazy, support, etc - is what I needed more than a “definitive diagnosis”.

— lemonSys

Hugs from:
Breaking Dawn, stahrgeyzer