View Single Post
MuseumGhost
Grand Magnate

Member Since Apr 2012
12.3k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jan 07, 2023 at 08:36 PM

Very well said, *Beth*, as always. A third and really relatable explanation for someone going silent. I've been there, too.

I think my mind is clear enough, and that my long experience with human beings has taught me enough, that I am able to discern whether the silent treatment is being weaponized against me, or is the result of a basic inability to form the correct words; i.e, due to emotional paralysis. And naturally, also taking notes from the range of possible reasons in-between those two poles.

If I do suspect it is being used, as you said moodyblue83, passively-aggressively towards me, I lose an awful lot of respect for the person attempting it. And they usually also lose all credibility. So, I have to be on my guard against hasty judgements, because one wrong assumption from me could signal the end of everything. I am human, and I know where my scars are.

I think that is at the heart of the matter. Being discerning, and knowing it could be down to an awful lot of things. Communication can become so complicated and distressing and frustrating. Doing it effectively is an ongoing challenge. And being in relationships can definitely expose our weak points, as well as past hurts.

More than ever, when this continues to happen, I believe it's important to press that person, until you get a full explanation for their silence. Explain to them how it hurts you, and definitely spell out the consequences, if they do not open up. Then the ball is in their court, and you will have an answer, one way or another.

Submitted with hope for healing...
MuseumGhost is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
*Beth*, ArmorPlate108, moodyblue83

Thanks for this!
*Beth*, ArmorPlate108, moodyblue83, sadmanagain