Grand Poohbah

Member Since May 2019
6,984 hugs
given
Default Jan 08, 2023 at 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discombobulated View Post
How do you deal with flashbacks?

Last week I got this out of the blue and it took a while before I realised it wasn’t the present situation that was affecting me so much as a very physical memory from over 30 years ago. I felt the same feelings- it took me days before I realised why I was feeling as intensely as I was. It’s actually never happened to me before (I don’t think) maybe it’ll never happen again.

Was there something about your present situation that reminded you of the situation from the past? I have had flashbacks on several occasions but have not had any for a while (a couple of years?). One involved something from decades ago and surfaced when I spoke about it in therapy. I had just not talked about a situation which I was ashamed of and did not understand how deeply it had effected me. I simply pushed it into the back of my mind (I did not forget it but never talked to anyone about it and purposely did not focus on it). I moved on with my life but when I revealed it in therapy, floods of emotions and memories burst forth unabated for a while. After my one and only attempt about six months later I had flashbacks including smells and physical sensations but, thank God , they are now gone. Focusing on God has also stopped my negative, compulsive thoughts. I have been looking forward again, as I did in my youth. I sincerely hope you can process this event and put it behind you. I think when events are too much for us to bear, we bury them but they can effect us unconsciously until we process them. And you are a sensitive soul. Also, I know that some events are very hard to ever process. Thankfully, I was able to process and heal from everything. I hope and pray that you will be able to too!
TunedOut is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Discombobulated