View Single Post
Discombobulated
Grand Magnate

Member Since Oct 2019
11.8k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jan 08, 2023 at 01:27 PM

I sat on a jury years ago about a massive giro cheque fraud case.

This was when the government paid welfare benefits (unemployment benefits etc) by cheque in the post, I think these days it’s all electronic which is much more traceable.

The cheques were probably stolen within the Mail sorting office (although those thieves were never caught they’d be Royal Mail staff) then the cheques were altered to different amounts and made out to different names. They were then cashed in person by gang members - this was where the guy was caught whose trial we heard. We found him guilty.

They used to choose smaller post offices which didn’t have CCTV or good enough CCTV. Usually when fraudulent cheques are cashed in person the first thing they do is check the CCTV. In this case he was caught red handed when the clerk got suspicious. But really he was just one small cog in a bigger machine. He did go to prison though.

I’m wondering why your husband uses cheques? They aren’t as secure or traceable as electronic transfer. In fact over here banks don’t even issue cheque books anymore, unless you request them. They’re almost obsolete.
Discombobulated is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
jesyka