Super Moderator
Community Support Team
Community Liaison
Chat Leader

Member Since May 2014
2,339 hugs
given
Default Jan 10, 2023 at 12:56 PM

@Aviza I discovered something that if true would make your applying in AZ less valuable than applying in the jurisdiction you live in.
Can you get Section 8 for another state? - Quora
Quote:
Yes, you may apply for Section 8 in any state in the US, even if you do not live there. If you are called for a voucher and you lived in that same jurisdiction when you applied, you may port that voucher immediately to anywhere in the US. If you are called for a voucher and did not live in that jurisdiction when you applied, then you must live in the jurisdiction for one year, and then you may port your voucher anywhere
I cannot verify if that is correct, but if it is you might want to apply in the jurisdiction you have lived and plan on living in for a year by the time you get approved for Section 8. Otherwise you would need to move to AZ and live there for a year paying regular rent if that person I quoted is correct.

The problem with AZ is they are dependent on the Colorado River for water flowing from Lake Meade. Lake Meade is down 62% from its normal level due to severe drought which may continue for a long time. We assume we can have all the water we want but western states are learning that is not so. The Southwest is a different culture than other parts of the US. You may want to check that out. The heat in July and August can be unbearable with temps over 110 Degrees F recorded in the past year. Unless you love heat and very dry air AZ could be a real challenge. When I lived in Southwest my nose completely dried up. So different than what I was used to.

"Things Take Time"
CANDC is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
unaluna