Grand Magnate

Member Since Oct 2019
11.8k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jan 16, 2023 at 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonightowl View Post
My credit union has restrooms, located in the lobby so no one has to actually walk through the bank and see anything that's confidential. But you have to be a customer it seems, because the teller will have to buzz you in. They are single use bathrooms, all gender as well. There are two of them.

I think there aren't enough public restrooms period. I hear it's a real problem nationwide, and in the UK too (I thought of you, Disco). I mean it's nature and people have to GO. Not everyone is out to do drugs. I never drink anything while driving, as I'm afraid I'll need a bathroom. I see a lot of people doing that though, drinking something as they drive.

Fast food places usually have nasty restrooms, and I know some Starbucks have closed locations due to problems with people using them for other reasons. Personally I don't think that solves anything as they just go to another SB or something.

This reminds me of an experience not in a bank but in a clothing store. I used to work in a fancy office building near a fancy shopping center. At lunch I'd go and look in some of the stores. One time I came in wearing jeans and a T-shirt, as it was "casual Friday". Another time I was in my suit. I got treated differently each time, and I was the same person with the same money to spend! I can't remember if it was the same salesperson (this was the 90's!) but they seemed to be more receptive to me when wearing a suit.

Sorry this happened to you. I'm also reminded of a case against Starbucks when a couple of black men came in to wait for a friend and to use the restroom. The white manager refused and called the police saying they LOOK threatening. It was all over the news years ago; I think Starbucks made their restrooms public after that.
Totally. I remember being in my casual jeans getting looked at like I was a lesser form of life in Fortnum and Masons buying expensive cookies for my family back home. Roll into that my northern accent and the poor man behind the counter just couldn’t seem to handle it.

How people of different racial origins cope with that sort of attitude idk.

Hugs from:
Fuzzybear, nonightowl, WovenGalaxy, Yaowen

Thanks for this!
nonightowl