Legendary Wise Elder

Member Since Dec 2014
1,277 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jan 16, 2023 at 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discombobulated View Post
Totally. I remember being in my casual jeans getting looked at like I was a lesser form of life in Fortnum and Masons buying expensive cookies for my family back home. Roll into that my northern accent and the poor man behind the counter just couldn’t seem to handle it.

How people of different racial origins cope with that sort of attitude idk.
I go to Fortnum and Masson every time I am in London and lately it’s been few times a year. They sell a particular tea I always want. Didn’t notice anyone bothering with me. Or looking at me. I wear what I wear out and about. Everyone is a tourist there anyway. Sometimes I wonder if when we feel inadequate or don’t value ourselves, then it feels like others look at us certain way. Or don’t like our accents. Etc Most people don’t care. Or maybe I developed thick skin.

Now about race I agree. That just a different ball game. Our granddaughter is a different race than us and people always stare when we are out. They stare so bad that they block traffic. Our neighbour almost hit a poll one time trying to look at her. I don’t know if they being nosey she looks different or they look because they are racists. She doesn’t notice but we sure do. One time I asked one woman “can I help you???”

Hugs from:
Discombobulated, SybilMarie, Yaowen

Thanks for this!
*Beth*, SybilMarie, WovenGalaxy