Desert Kitty hates titles

Member Since Jul 2008
7,035 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Angry Jan 16, 2023 at 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeezyks View Post
We have the gas thingy at the grocery store too and it's for the gas station we frequent. But we never use the points. I don't even know if there's an expiration date on the points. Now the grocery store we shop at most frequently has a thing where you collect stamps of some sort and they're good on dishes the store carries. (We don't collect the stamps.) If you get in a check-out line where someone is cashing in their stamps, prepare to wait a l-o-n-g time!

We still don't have a smart phone... just an old dumb phone. Smart phones are too much technology for us. That's another reason I doubt we'll ever buy another car. Too much technology. Even our 2008 SUV has stuff on it we've never used. Is it even possible to buy just a normal vehicle anymore? I don't know. But I doubt it...
I like your word, "thingy". My gas points do have expiration dates and the highest number is redeemed at the pump. I think each month is stand alone, they don't roll over. This time the details didn't print on my receipt for some reason but last I recall, it was 10 cents a gallon off. If you get 10 gallons you just save $1. Not worth going to a certain gas station which is out of my way.

I was reluctant to get a smartphone and am still intimidated at times. But after the trauma of being cut off from the world in 2020 (they closed all the libraries where I used to go to get online), I got one in 2021. I decided it was more practical to get a phone which fits in my purse or pocket. I don't have much to do online but at least I can GET online. 2020 was BRUTAL. I couldn't do email, couldn't book a COVID test appointment since it was only done ONLINE, couldn't get on here and talk to you guys.

I even tried to go to FedEx Office where they have public Internet. Even with gloves and a mask they wouldn't let me in. Only people shipping packages were allowed in and just a few at a time. Before the library finally opened and when they started letting people in for other things, I used part of my stimulus money to get on their computer. It's expensive but I HAD to do it. And if it wasn't for an acquaintance who let me use her computer, I wouldn't have GOTTEN the stimulus since you had to go eff-ing ONLINE.

So I had to eat crow and get one. People just expect me to have one, which I think is presumptuous but that's our culture. I was never going to trust the government again, not with just Internet access but anything. They are SO out of touch. If they expect everyone to have computers or smartphones, WHY have computers at the libraries at all?? Why not save all that precious money? Why have printers or copiers if we all have this at home? (Or even HAVE a home vs. a tent) STUPID goverment. One of my libraries got all new computers after reopening in 2021. Geez, if we have them at home why do that? (Sarcasm)

Recently I had to get a new hairdryer which was still under warranty. The rep told me to "just take a picture of the receipt and dryer with the cord cut and email it to us." See how she assumed I have one?!! I take bad pictures but I guess it was enough since I got a new dryer in a few days. If I couldn't do that, I'd have to pack the cord/dryer into a box, make a copy of the receipt someplace, and go stand in line at the post office to ship it. Time and postage money.

Tech in cars is too much for me. I saw on the news how they have these SCREENS on the dashboard now which some car safety groups say is too distracting. People look at their phones, NOW they can look at their dashboard too! I think the backup camera is a good thing, as if anyone or anything is below the height of your trunk, you CAN'T see it! But I have an old car which has none of that stuff.

That would include toddlers, dogs, someone in a wheelchair.....SUV's are especially high and have a real blind spot, more than cars.

And speaking of tech in cars, I'd never trust a self-driving car. These things are going to take jobs from people who drive for a living: Truck drivers, limo drivers, taxis, Uber/Lfyt. It's like from some science fiction movie.

Hmmm....looks like some good tips in here.

"Okay, enough photos. I'm a very BUSY Business Kitty, so make an appointment next time."
nonightowl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Skeezyks, Travelinglady

Thanks for this!
Discombobulated, Travelinglady