Grand Magnate

Member Since Oct 2019
11.6k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jan 16, 2023 at 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by divine1966 View Post
I go to Fortnum and Masson every time I am in London and lately it’s been few times a year. They sell a particular tea I always want. Didn’t notice anyone bothering with me. Or looking at me. I wear what I wear out and about. Everyone is a tourist there anyway. Sometimes I wonder if when we feel inadequate or don’t value ourselves, then it feels like others look at us certain way. Or don’t like our accents. Etc Most people don’t care. Or maybe I developed thick skin.

Now about race I agree. That just a different ball game. Our granddaughter is a different race than us and people always stare when we are out. They stare so bad that they block traffic. Our neighbour almost hit a poll one time trying to look at her. I don’t know if they being nosey she looks different or they look because they are racists. She doesn’t notice but we sure do. One time I asked one woman “can I help you???”
Yeah I didn’t mean to run down Fortnum and Mason, they likely have a lot of employees and I just got this one man who was very offhand and snooty - I guess like the original OP you just ‘feel’ a vibe, of course you usually can’t prove it. Yeah you could possibly be right about our perception being skewed (maybe the man was late for his lunch break and in a bad mood idk) but also sometimes we are right in our instinct. Btw unless you lived in UK you might not be aware of how ridiculously divided many are about regional accents - sad to say my accent is one that is looked down on by many in other areas that’s reality not my perception.

People do judge all the time you’re right Owl, maybe for good and bad, but yeah we judge in the store who we think looks like they may shoplift for instance (not race but behaviour and often not clean or neat). A long ago colleague of mine got followed around a store - he’d been having chemo so he was underweight and lost teeth of course he thought it was funny, after all he was going through.

Anyhow I’m rambling but OP I hope you’ll rise above any negative judgement about your appearance and stay true to yourself.

Hugs from:
Fuzzybear, nonightowl, SybilMarie, WovenGalaxy, Yaowen

Thanks for this!
nonightowl