Legendary Wise Elder

Member Since Dec 2014
1,277 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jan 18, 2023 at 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discombobulated View Post
Yeah I didn’t mean to run down Fortnum and Mason, they likely have a lot of employees and I just got this one man who was very offhand and snooty - I guess like the original OP you just ‘feel’ a vibe, of course you usually can’t prove it. Yeah you could possibly be right about our perception being skewed (maybe the man was late for his lunch break and in a bad mood idk) but also sometimes we are right in our instinct. Btw unless you lived in UK you might not be aware of how ridiculously divided many are about regional accents - sad to say my accent is one that is looked down on by many in other areas that’s reality not my perception.

People do judge all the time you’re right Owl, maybe for good and bad, but yeah we judge in the store who we think looks like they may shoplift for instance (not race but behaviour and often not clean or neat). A long ago colleague of mine got followed around a store - he’d been having chemo so he was underweight and lost teeth of course he thought it was funny, after all he was going through.

Anyhow I’m rambling but OP I hope you’ll rise above any negative judgement about your appearance and stay true to yourself.
Yeah I know about regional accents. I spend a lot of time in UK (don’t live there). I am not a native English speaker though so I have accent speaking English regardless if I am in the US or UK. My English is clear though and it’s American version so in the US it’s not an issue, in UK I am sometimes misunderstood and people ask what I mean. I really don’t care if people look down on me. I am trilingual. Boo hoo so I have an accent.

When I was younger, I worried what people think of me or how they look at me. People do judge others. But we probably judge others too. And people often assume they are being judged, when really no one cares, they just follow the rules or deal with their own issues. So by assuming we are being judged, we pass on judgements on those supposedly “judgemental” people. All while they don’t even care, so who judges who then. That’s just how we humans are. Nature of the beast

I do agree with the advice to try ignoring what others might think about us. It’s not easy though. My husband has Tourette’s. Talking about people passing uneducated judgement and downright being bullies. People could be plain evil

Thanks for this!
lizardlady