divine1966 Tired!!!

8 yr Member
1,274 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jan 23, 2023 at 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardlady View Post

CallaLilly, I used to work at a food delivery business that was open until 2am. One night the assistant manager and I were at the front counter in the wee hours of the morning. A guy came in wearing a motorcycle helmet with full face mask. The assistant manager, using a joking tone of voice, asked if he was going to remove the helmet or did she need to hit the panic button. They both treated it like a joke, but I noticed she had her had near the button. Covering your face and entering a cash based business is "suspicious" behavior.

Given the number of members here who have been assaulted in the past, I am surprised at how many people are making judgements of people who are trusting their own inner voice warning them of potential danger. We advocate listening to that inner voice. Some times what might be perceived as discrimination might be a person keeping themself safe.

Before anyone jumps on me for advocating discrimination - I am not. I have no patience with people who dislike others for their appearance. I have experienced and witnessed it. It's just plain wrong.

I am struggling to say this next part and not insult anyone...

Businesses should be allowed to restrict access to their site. Would you allow a stranger in your house if they knocked on the door and asked to use the bathroom? I used to work out of an office in a strip center full of other offices. At least once a week we'd get someone come in and as to use the bathroom
It was not a drop in kind of business. We told them "no" because we had no idea who these people were or what they might do. It was a safety issue for us. As far as I'm concerned other businesses have the right to say no also.
I think when we demand that employees extend their kindness to strangers in detriment to their own employment (violating company’s policies) and to detriment to their own safety, we need to remember to extend our kindness to employees who have to follow company’s policies and who need to feel safe in their work place. Judgment goes both ways.

Hugs from:
Nammu

Thanks for this!
Discombobulated, lizardlady