Legendary

Member Since Dec 2014
1,873 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jan 24, 2023 at 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie123 View Post
I read it years ago....excellent!The book that saved my life and sanity: The Verbally Abusive Relationship by Patricia Evans; it helped me get a divorce from a verbal abuse after 31 years..... I know all about "crazy-making" behavior. I was the moderator of an abuse survivor group.

I wrote a paper, Society's Hidden Pandemic, Verbal Abuse;Precursor to Physical abuse and a Form of Biochemical Assault.

The brain can physically change with verbal abuse.
It’s funny, when I first came to this forum, I said in my childhood it was “only” verbal abuse.

I’m half way in to the book so far, and it is using extreme abuse as examples. IME it is a constant series of smaller invalidations and maltreatment. It’s like I keep getting zapped with a bug zapper, and I don’t get myself away from the people because they are some of the closest to me.

I did read The Verbally Abusive Relationship. Yes, I’ve been exposed to that and have to control my own mouth as well. I’m learning to walk away, disengage. It’s really helping my emotional state to leave the conflict and distract myself.

I think, because of the role modeling I had, it subconsciously taught me to have a compulsion to seek it with my partner and engage in it (even though I hated to witness it and vowed I would never be like that).

He was antagonizing yesterday, and I disengaged.

Hugs from:
Breaking Dawn, Marie123, SlumberKitty