View Single Post
Soupe du jour
Elder

Member Since Jun 2015
13.4k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jan 27, 2023 at 08:39 AM

If you have bipolar disorder or Sza bipolar type, I'd personally go the Lamictal route, especially if antidepressants tend to make you manic. Lamictal seems to be a fairly side effect friendly medication for many. It has been for me, at least at doses of 200 mg or less. Any time I take an antidepressant I either get manic or have bad mixed states. I do know that some people can handle them, but my recommendation is solely based on my own experience.

Swallowing pills usually gets easier with practice. I remember the first time I was put on more than two at a time (about 18 years ago) I was nervous and needed multiple sips of water. Now I can down 10 at a time with no problem. Not that everyone can, but it gets easier. Perhaps your doc can split a Lamictal dose so as to have smaller pills. As for the shape, this varies by brand. I know the brand name always had a strange almost pentagon-like shape. Larger dose pills were bigger, but I recall them having a line indentation where you could split them in two. That's also an option for reducing the size. Some of the generics are circular tablets that tend to be less intimidating looking.

I only took Prozac for a short bit of time about 31 years ago. It made me very manic. My mania destroyed a friendship and my behavior was seriously out of control. It even affected me physically. Just my experience. I had about the same with all other antidepressants I was prescribed (even simultaneously with moodstabilizers and antipsychotics) during a period of 3 1/2 years after. Then, no more antidepressants again.

Psych Medications:
* Tegretol XR (carbamazepine ER) 800 mg
* Lamictal (lamotrigine) 150 mg
* Seroquel XR (quetiapine ER) 600 mg

I also take meds for blood pressure, cholesterol, and tachycardia.
Soupe du jour is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote