View Single Post
NatalieJastrow
Veteran Member

Member Since Aug 2020
261 hugs
given
Default Jan 27, 2023 at 09:01 AM

So I let it go on wayyyy too long because the year changed and I had insurance pay for 10 visits. But I ended up going for one more appointment. I told her I was at a point where I didn't have a health anxiety concern... so she focused on my weight.

Triggered.

This ending up making me SOOOO angry. SO angry. She tried to suggest my weight was due to my mental health. This simply isn't true. I do not eat a lot at all and I do not use food as a mechanism for feelings. She kept trying to suggest that I was lying to myself in some way. Of course, they do that because their advice doesn't work. I told her I once thought I was lying to myself as well so to prove it.. I paid for a liquid diet and the exact same thing happened that always happens... I lost weight and then it slowly started coming back. She acted like she didn't believe me.

She suggested Weight Watchers. What? I have been to weight watchers, at least 20 other programs, tried diet pills, liquid diet... fasting -- there is nothing I haven't done. They all have the same pattern... I lose weight, my metabolsim drops, I start gaining weight on the food that used to allow me to lose, and then, I gain until I hit a point where my weight increases my TDEE. It is a set point that I don't know how to re adjust. Even if I exercise -- eventually -- something will happen where you can't be "strict" and if you aren't you will gain back quickly. Because by dieting in the first place you suppressed your energy burned.

I do think this could be genetic. My mom died of gastric cancer and one reason we didn't know is because she didn't lose any weight -- even though she wasn't eating and was throwing up. Mom even got a feeding tube but never lost weight.

My "spirit" animal on this is Oprah. I am about 30 lbs less heavy than her but I feel she has the same disorder as me and has tried everything. We all saw her get up at 5 AM to exercise and that worked for a bit until she had a knee injury and it all came back. Getting up at 5 AM is also not sustainable. Oprah is one of the most disciplined and successful people in the world so it can't be about her discipline.

So I am done. She made me angry and a little hopeless and she didn't have much to add that wasn't bunk. So maybe most of her other advice was also bunk. Enough.
NatalieJastrow is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
LonesomeTonight, SlumberKitty