View Single Post
moodyblue83

Member Since Aug 2021
31 hugs
given
Default Jan 29, 2023 at 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGal View Post
I'm feeling down today and called a friend who elected herself, maybe not as therapist, but an analyst. All I said when asked "How are you?" was that I was so-so. Then she immediately went on a diatribe about how I'm hyper-sensitive, that I'm an empath and codependent.

............What nerve ! What kind of friend is that ? It's funny how when most people ask how are you they really don't wanna know the truth. Just a simple " ah....I'm ok "

I told her, I'm not asking her to be my therapist and she said "That's good. Thank you."

.............Wow again ! How rude. That's when she would have heard the sound of the phone hanging up. Maybe you know this person well enough that they can talk to you like this ?

There was some truth in what she said, but I was calling to just chat and shoot the ***** and lighten up a bit.

.............. Is she your friend and " analyst " ? Either way I would have said , " guess this is not a good time " and hung up.

Now I feel like cr*p.

................ I would feel hurt and angry.She should feel like cr*p
because of the way she spoke to you. And I would expect an apology.

How do you pick yourself up after someone presumes superiority over you?

.................You pick yourself up with your pride and self esteem and let her know that her supposed superiority is nothing more than an inflated ego that she needs to put in check.

I feel angry, especially that I didn't tell her to eff off.

....................You should feel angry and that's what I wanted to say earlier, I would have to her to F Off !

As an aside, I made an excuse to cut the call short.

...................No excuse needed , just hang up. With friends like that who needs enemies !

Have you had a similar situation? How did you deal with it?

...............Anytime someone claimed superiority over me I wind up belittling them in ways they find , well , belittling. Now if they have REAL power over me than I just have to bite my tongue for awhile.

What should I do going forward?
..............It depends on how much you are afraid of losing her as a friend. Wait for her to call YOU and then just explain how much you were hurt last time by her insensitive remarks. Then just take it from there.
Good luck..........

Thanks for this!
TheGal