View Single Post
ArtleyWilkins
Magnate

Member Since Oct 2018
7 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Feb 08, 2023 at 07:26 PM

I'm a musician, and it brings me great pleasure and enjoyment, even when it is difficult -- perhaps BECAUSE it can sometimes be difficult. As we prepare major works for concerts, learning that very difficult music requires thought, practice, skill, problem-solving, but therein IS the pleasure as I work with other people to create beauty. The process itself is so stimulating. Working with others, enjoying their company, singing together -- those interactions are in themselves so pleasing. The performances are glorious and exciting, but the work to get there is probably more satisfying than the performances themselves.

Music is not what I do for a living. It is my personal activity completely outside of my profession. So, I'm using my brain in a different way. I'm interacting with people that I don't interact with on a daily basis. I'm using a different skill set than I do in my work. That change of pace and focus is where the pleasure and enjoyment come from.

Your last question was, "Are people who do activities for enjoyment very good at dealing with difficulties, ie very good problem solvers?" I can only speak for myself. Once I made room for my music in my life, I became much more adept at handling whatever problems life threw my way (and I've had some major problems come up). Having an activity where I can have a bit of a release from the troubles of life is ultimately healing. Prior to getting involved in my music, I spent WAY to much time staring at my belly button and bemoaning my problems. Music gave me a healthy outlet, a different set of personal interactions, goals that didn't revolve around "me" alone. It gave me a place to nourish my soul.

Finding something outside of ourselves that feeds our well-being is a healthy outlet.
ArtleyWilkins is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Breaking Dawn

Thanks for this!
*Beth*, Breaking Dawn, Discombobulated