View Single Post
The_little_didgee
Grand Magnate

Member Since Apr 2013
PC PoohBah!
Default Mar 03, 2023 at 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seesaw View Post
That's interesting that he called to apologize, and strange, IMO. Is anyone ever NOT upset, even at least to a small degree, about a layoff? Even if you wanted to leave, even if you quickly land a better job, at the very least, in the moment of being laid off, it's upsetting. The experience is upsetting. Even if you recover quickly.

And being told over the phone was lame and cowardly. And so he "called" to apologize... That's almost adding insult to injury, right?

Well, if the apology helped you or was appreciated, that was good. You were completely entitled to be upset at both being laid off and the manner in which you were laid off. Let them sit with their discomfort of you telling them how you feel. They still have jobs, right?
He apologized in an email. I'm not sure how genuine it was. He did explain that he tried to delay it as much as possible. I have to give him credit for that, but...... if he really cared he wouldn't have laid me off. He could have reduced my hours, but he chose not to. Money comes first.

This layoff has made me realize that I am just a number. Every workplace seems to be like this. It is really discouraging, since we spend so much of our lives at work. -- Knowing this only motivates me to start my own business, but I need money before I can do that.

Coworkers are definitely not friends, nor managers who tell you personal things like mine did.

My manager just bought a brand new Lexus. It's her very first car after recently getting her G2, one level below a full G license here in Ontario. She obviously isn't suffering.

And yes, it felt very insulting especially during the first week.

Seesaw thanks for your reply.

Hugs from:
Discombobulated, seesaw, SlumberKitty, unaluna, WovenGalaxy