View Single Post
Gavreel

Member Since Feb 2023
36 hugs
given
Default Mar 18, 2023 at 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileygal View Post
I haven't seen the documentary you have mentioned but have read some articles and have friends in Ireland who I chatted with this about. It is scandalous in many ways and shocking that it's still not regulated.

It doesn't mean however that every therapist you have seen wasn't qualified to do the job or was a 'fake' (unless of course you know or discovered since that the specific therapist you saw did not have sufficient training)

Therapists /Psychologists can often take different approaches and many are quieter in the first few sessions to try and give the client more space to talk. It can be frustrating and confusing at first . I know mine barely talked for the first few weeks/months and she is a fully qualified Undergrad/PHD psychologist. It often really depends on their main modality. I am not saying that this was the case for you just saying that there are fully qualified people like this. Do you know what their main orientation was?

You ask the question

A good psychologist has a wide range of skills, qualities, and attributes. Some characteristics that I would consider important for a good psychologist:
  • Good communication: is able to communicate effectively and clearly with clients,
  • Ability to stay present: able to stay full present with you in the difficult moments and not get easily distracted
  • Empathy and good listening skills: able to understand and connect with their clients on an emotional level.
  • Knowledgeable and has extensive knowledge of human behavior, emotions, and mental health issues. They stay up-to-date on the latest research and developments in the field.
  • Non-judgmental: creates a safe and non-judgmental environment for clients, allowing them to feel comfortable discussing sensitive topics.
  • Patience: understands that the therapeutic process can take time and that progress may not always be linear.
  • Ethical: adheres to ethical guidelines and standards, ensuring the confidentiality and well-being of their clients.
Maybe I have rushed to Judge her too soon, I just felt like she was getting off on my problems. I'm trying to trust myself more and not label everything as paranoia as my initial instincts of the training of many of these therapists have been proven to be true sadly. I might contact the clinic and ask for her credentials but I feel damn awful having to do this to someone but it isn't my fault, its the system.. I'm afraid that this will offend her and the sessions will not be comfortable going forward for her.
Gavreel is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote