View Single Post
*Beth*
catches the flowers
*Beth* is practicing healthy breathing for brain, mind, body, spirit.

3 yr Member
23.7k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Mar 20, 2023 at 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samicat View Post
Sorry for an "academic" reply as I'm new to the forum - but this is a really interesting topic to me as I'm 54 and I've noticed that some people actually seem to get more empathetic with age while others get less. I feel like I became a more angry person when I hit menopause a few years ago, but since that has passed it's a bit better.

Recently I've been reading about ancient stoic philosophy (not what the world "stoic" has come to mean). Part of the philosophy involves never reacting in anger but pausing, processing your emotions and responding (as opposed to reacting) when you are calm, for instance the next day. Modern stoics advise processing your fear and anger by writing in a journal.

I only mention it because I feel like it has really helped me manage my emotions and understand that reacting in anger is never okay, even if the anger is "justified." This means a lot to me as I have felt so enraged at times and it's so easy to get triggered by stuff in the media or online.

Unfortunately many things (including the Internet algorithm which is motivated by getting and keeping our attention) have learned to manipulate us with our negative emotions. It's more important than ever to behave with kindness and empathy.

I have made a very conscious effort not to become bitter and judgmental as I age. It would be the easy way out. But I've seen too many women in my life who do, and it's a sad thing - for others, but especially for themselves. Retaining love, wonder, awe, and the joy of an open mind & heart is essential to me.

Empathy is a strange thing...it seems we are either born with it, or not.

Stoicism- interesting that you brought that up. It's a philosophy that is so similar to the practice of mindfulness.

Thank you, Sami.

Hugs from:
Fuzzybear, Rosi700