View Single Post
Revu2
Grand Member

Member Since Aug 2013
4 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Mar 23, 2023 at 10:14 PM

Hi Ms D, bummer you got sucked in. There's no corner of philosophy which drives me battier than this optimism, pessimism, realist, puzzle. Fundamentally, it's not at all tied to a forecast or outcome.
Lynx (my aka on Sher's forum) wrote:

Just read a reference to the Stockdale Paradox. James Stockdale was the highest ranking officer in the infamous "Hanoi Hilton" during the Vietnam War. He served 7.5 years, organized resistance among the American prisoners, thwarted efforts to be used as propaganda, etc.

It just happens he found this sustaining philosophy during a War. I'm not a fan of war, especially this one, but there's something to learn from everything. That said, here goes.

He managed using Stoic philosophy (which I mostly know through Seneca's writings). Picking up now from wikipedia:

In a business book by James C. Collins called Good to Great, Collins writes about a conversation he had with Stockdale regarding his coping strategy during his period in the Vietnamese POW camp.[18]

I never lost faith in the end of the story, I never doubted not only that I would get out, but also that I would prevail in the end and turn the experience into the defining event of my life, which, in retrospect, I would not trade.[19]

When Collins asked who didn't make it out of Vietnam, Stockdale replied:

Oh, that's easy, the optimists. Oh, they were the ones who said, 'We're going to be out by Christmas.' And Christmas would come, and Christmas would go. Then they'd say, 'We're going to be out by Easter.' And Easter would come, and Easter would go. And then Thanksgiving, and then it would be Christmas again. And they died of a broken heart.[19]

Stockdale then added:

This is a very important lesson. You must never confuse faith that you will prevail in the end—which you can never afford to lose—with the discipline to confront the most brutal facts of your current reality, whatever they might be.
His, "I never lost faith" is the quality of optimism Bonhoeffer talks to. The others who cracked were forecasting events they had no control over. Keeping the faith, that one can control and Stockdale did.

Keep the Faith, Revu2

Revu2 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote