LonesomeTonight has no updates.

8 yr Member
74.8k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Mar 26, 2023 at 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NP_Complete View Post
Obviously we weren't there and don't have all the details, but it seems kind of sketchy that the ortho guy jumps straight to surgery. Aren't there other less invasive treatments that could be tried? Were any other diagnoses considered? I agree that you're going to have to advocate for yourself with these doctors. I'm sorry you're suffering so much.
I'd be concerned about insurance covering it without other types of treatment first (I think you tried PT for a bit, right?), unless the MRI is really definitive. I know it's different, but my insurance wouldn't even permit me to get an MRI for my neck (even though the orthopedist ordered one) until I'd had a certain amount of PT for it (I didn't end up completing it because I kept having panic attacks in there).

However, with my H, they gave him an MRI fairly quickly on his hip, I think because it was clearly due to an injury--or maybe they just handle hips differently? May have been the same with his shoulder, I forget. With the shoulder, he had to have PT first, then didn't need surgery. I know with the second hip, they went right to surgery from the MRI--I forget what happened with the first hip, if there was PT in between. I know they initially denied the surgery (despite a diagnosed labral tear, plus this other bone deformity thing that made him prone to another tear), then the orthopedist had to talk to them and get them to agree to it. So just be prepared for that if needed, Velcro.

I'd check with your insurance first to make sure the MRI would be covered (though the place where I tried to schedule mine took care of that for me, so it may be the same for you). And also about the surgery, though they probably can't answer that without knowing MRI results.

Hugs from:
SlumberKitty