View Single Post
divine1966
Legendary Wise Elder

Member Since Dec 2014
1,279 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Mar 26, 2023 at 11:21 PM

It sounds very hard. Sadly many PhD students experience somewhat similar situations. It’s literally impossible to do while working. It’s all too much.

When my daughter was accepted to PhD program, she decided she’d only do it if she received a grant allowing her not to work. Grant was available but for only one person a year and she didn’t get it. She decided to try again next year as PhD program agreed to keep the spot for her but life had other turns and twists. She chose to take on different career path and gave up on PhD plans etc Some people were disappointed. But I could imagine how that would go. It would either take many years to finish or she’d be too overwhelmed to even continue.

It’s impressive you do all that. I’d not worry about what others do. We are all different.

I don’t really have any good advice. Personally I think maybe just sucking up and finishing the degree that would lead to more stability and income? That might be a motivation- knowing it will be over and you could do things with your degree? Quitting won’t get you there. But heck is hard!!

I second Bill’s suggestion. Is there any counseling available? I know things are rough right now and some stuff might not be there. Where are you in Russia at the moment? What region, if you don’t mind asking
divine1966 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote