divine1966
Legendary Wise Elder

Member Since Dec 2014
1,292 hugs
given
Default Mar 29, 2023 at 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoroMona View Post
If you quit now, will you be able to get a master's degree at least? You're only 2 years into your degree. Which means that if you quit, you haven't lost too much time, yet. You also managed to learn some programming. Most PhDs take over 4 years to earn. Do you think you can realistically survive a minimum of 2-3 more years like this? If you quit, do you have any idea what you want to do? Have you looked at jobs that interest you? Are they available to you now, or you need a PhD to apply for any of them?

I have a PhD and it took me far down a road I no longer want to be on. My friends without PhDs on average have less stressful lives and were building up coherent work experience while I was doing research that has very little to do with my current work. My story is not your story, but there is a huge opportunity cost involved in pursuing a PhD. Personally, I wouldn't do it again.
Those are good points.

I assumed he already has masters degree prior to applying for PhD? Most programs would not accept application with undergrad degree. But maybe it’s different in other countries

It’s a good point though: do you need PhD for what you do or want to do for a living. I have a couple of coworkers with PhD. They do exact same job that I do with my Masters. The only difference they get paid I think 2k more a year. It wouldn’t justify it for me at all. They owe so much in student loans for that PhD that 2k just not cutting it!
divine1966 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote